Just Write: Wherever You Are
There was a time when you needed to relocate if you wanted to become a successful writer. In essence you went where the work was.
The Internet has opened a whole new world for writers. The idea of telecommuting has become a welcome component to the mechanism of freelance.
Today you can sit in a kitchen in Iowa and write for a publication based in the heart of New York. You can write for a firm in Australia from the comfort of your home office in Ontario. You can also write for clients from any point on the globe while wearing your sweats.
There is still a need for local writers to cover local events, but freelancers tap into the human experience and pass that information along in a way that can defy time zones.
The truth is there is a growing acceptance of freelance writers for both print and cyber content. I suppose one of the primary reasons has to do with the cost-effective nature of relying on freelance writing. As publishing businesses have worked to streamline operations they have come to rely more on freelancers who can provide copy on an 'as needed' basis. For the freelancer this provides a sense of personal freedom and income. The benefit for the publisher is in not paying a full time writer when their may not be enough work to warrant their employment.
More Reasons to Hire a Freelance Writer
1) You don't have to pay freelancers overtime.
2) You don't have to pay freelancers sick leave.
3) You don't have to provide benefits to freelancers.
4) You can pay a freelance writer well and still pay less than a full-time counterpart.
5) Most freelancers are eager to please and will likely provide their best work. If they don't, you have the satisfaction of knowing there are many other freelancers available.
Reasons to Become a Freelance Writer
1) You set your own hours.
2) You can always refuse to work with a hard to please client.
3) You can work as much or little as you want.
4) A happy client not only returns, but they often bring referrals.
5) If you need time off, you only need to ask yourself.
The possibilities for a freelance writer seem to expand each day. The need for content from writers is huge and even the start of a part-time freelance business may provide a better income than you could have imagined. There's no doubt that it's hard work, but it's also doing something you already love to do.